Service Manager Progressive Capture
Progressive Capture allows you to configure how and what information is collected or captured when a request is being raised. This includes default capture forms that are specific to Service Manager and the ability to create custom question forms. This page describes the available Service Manager forms which can be used in the Progressive Capture Designer, the provided default Progressive Capture Scripts, and some of the available advanced settings.
Progressive Capture Forms
Service Manager provides a number of default forms that are available to use when building the Progressive Capture scripts for raising requests. These forms can be made available to a progressive capture script by adding a Form node to your progressive capture and selecting the form name from within the properties of the node.
- Add Attachments
- The 'Add Attachments' form allows you to include files when raising a request. Multiple attachments can be added and individual descriptions can be applied to each.
- Analyst Request Type
- The 'Analyst Request Type' form allows the support staff to choose the type of request that will be created. This form is most commonly seen in the 'New Request' progressive capture flow as the support person may not know which type of request needs to be raised when they first start capturing information.
- The 'Assignment' provides options for assigning the request to a team and an owner. You can choose to assign the request to just a team or to a team and a specified analyst.
- Asset Details
- The 'Asset Details' form allows an analyst or customer to associate assets to a request. By default, all assets that are associated to the customer are shown however it is also possible to associate assts which are shared with the customer, or perform general searches on assets that reside at the customer site, or more widely in the system. It's possible to associate multiple assets to each request:
- Change Type
- The 'Change Type' form allows an analyst to select the type of change request that will be raised. This form is usually only seen on the new Change progressive capture flow:
- The Connections form allows the support person to select a connected customer at the time of raising the request. This form is only used by and visible to support staff when raising the request in Service Manager when using the full client.
- Customer Request Type
- The 'Customer Request Type' form allows the customer to choose what type of request they are raising. This PCF is most commonly seen on the 'New Self Service' progressive capture flow which is used by both the Hornbill Service and Customer portals. It is slightly different to the 'Analyst Request Type' form in that it only offers the ability to select a request type of Incident (Something is broken) or Service Request (I need something):
- Customer Search
- The 'Customer Search' form allows an analyst to select a customer for the request. This search returns both Contacts and Co-workers. This form is useful when the a support team is supporting both external and internal customers.
- Contact Search
- The 'Contact Search' form provides a search option for adding a contact as the customer for the request. The search results only displays contact records and is recommended to use when only providing external support.
- Co-worker Search
- The 'Co-worker Search' form provides a search option for adding a Co-worker as the customer for the request. This search results only displays co-worker records and is recommended to use when only providing internal support.
- Known Error Details
- The 'Known Error Details' form allows an analyst to specify root cause and workaround details for a known error. This form is usually only seen on the new Known Error progressive capture flow:
- Organisation Details
- The 'Organisation Details' form allows an analyst to see additional information about the customer's organisation that is defined by a Hornbill administrator. There is no data captured in this PCF - it is purely informational only.
- Release Type
- The 'Release Type' form allows an analyst to select the type of release request that will be raised. This form is usually only seen on the new Release progressive capture flow:
- Request Category
- The 'Request Category' form allows an analyst to specify a category when logging a request.
- Request Details
- The 'Request Details' form allows an analyst to enter both a summary and a description for the request.
- Request Priority
- The 'Request Priority' form allows the priority of the request to be set.
- Select Site
- The 'Select Site' form allows an analyst or customer to specify a site when logging a request:
- Service Details
- The 'Service Details' form allows an analyst to specify a service when logging a request:
Default Progressive Capture Scripts
By default, Hornbill provide the following progressive capture flows. These can be edited, copied or deleted accordingly:
Service Manager settings are available to configure the default Progressive Captures that are used when raising requests.
- The named Progressive capture on this setting will be used when the Raise New option is used or when an email is used to raise a new request
- The named Progressive capture on this setting will be used when raising an Incident
- The named progressive capture on this setting will be used
- Default when raising problems
- Default when raising Known Errors
- Default when raising a change
- Default when raising a release
- The name of the progressive capture script to use when raising a request from the Raise New Request plug-in located within the email view. The default used when this is not set is the New Request progressive capture.
Global variables are available throughout the Progressive Capture workflow. These will allow branching to be used based on these values
- Portal Type
- This global variable lets you determine the branching based on one of two entry points. This could either be from one of the customer portals (Portals) or the main Hornbill client (Service Desk)
- This global variable lets you determine the branching of a Progressive Capture script based on the provided sources. The options for source include Analyst, Chat, Email, Post, Request, Self Service