Migrating to the Employee Portal
If you are currently using the Service Portal or the My Services Portal, and looking to migrate to the Employee Portal please follow the steps detailed here.
Below are some top-level steps to help you migrate to the employee portal. The video will talk through each step in-depth, and provide a practical walkthrough from start to finish.
Step 1 - Enable the Employee Portal
In the admin console, under System > Manage Portals > Employee Portal > Settings
The first two settings are required, as the employee portal is Off by default.
- Users - Add in the users you wish to have access and visibility of the employee portal
- Leaving this field empty, and enabling the employee portal, will make the employee portal visible to All users
- Enable - If you are ready to configure the employee portal, enable this setting, and the users defined above will now have a Company Home menu option visible to them under the Home Tile in the navigation menu in the live.hornbill.com/yourcompany domain
- Collaboration - Any user who will need to manage pages on the Employee Portal will need this role (This role alone will not allow them to configure the Home Page or Domain Pages)
- Home Page Manager - Any user who needs to manage the landing page on the Employee Portal will need this role
Step 2 - Configure The Employee Portal
Configure the following for the structure / theme of the pages on the Employee Portal
Step 3 - Configure the Home Page
- Page Versions - By Default, the Home Page, is provided with two out of the box versions.
- Users - A version which will be displayed to users who are of type User
- Basic Users - A version which will be displayed to users who are of type Basic
- It is possible to configure different Home Page versions for your users based on their type and to include different widgets on these pages if desired.
- When configuring the User version of the Home Page, certain widgets will be available to add, which are not available when configuring a Basic user version of the Home page, these include:
- Activities / Approvals
- These widgets are not available on the Basic user version of a page, as basic users do not have access to this functionality.
- You may prefer to have one version of the Home Page which is used by all users, irrespective of their type, and to achieve this, you can add an All Users version of the Home Page, and it will have priority over any other versions fo the page and will be displayed to all users.
- When creating an All Users version of the Home Page (or later Domain Pages), only the widgets available to Basic users will be available to add to the page.
- Add Widgets - Add the widgets you would like to appear to the users on the Home Page.
- Customize - Customise the Widgets in terms of content and style, using the options in each widget's configuration settings.
Step 4 - Configure Service Domains
- Role - A User will need the Service Domain Administrator to be able to manage Service Domains
- Settings - Service Domain Configuration options
- Domain Categories - Can be used to provide more granular grouping of services linked to the Service Domain, and to filter widgets on Doman Pages on the Employee Portal
- Domain Owners - Users who will be able to manage the linked Domain Page on the Employee Portal
Step 5 - Enable Domain Pages
Using the Page Designer, and being a Domain Owner, will enable the option to create a Domain Page on the Employee Portal
Here you will be able to consider the following:
- Page or Redirect
- Page Widgets
- Domain Filters
- Language / Translations
Step 6 - Map Service Manager Services
* Link To Service Domains & Domain Categories
- In Service Manager > Service Portfolio > Service record > Service Details two new settings are enabled which allow for the mapping of each service in Service Manager to a Service Domain and Optionally a Service Domain Category.
- Mapping a Service to a Service Domain, will allow you on domain pages on the Employee Portal to create widgets, which display Domain-specific data (pulled from the services linked to that domain).
* Utilize Your Existing Data
The Employee Portal will present all of your existing Service Manager data.
- Catalog Items
- Subscriptions & Visibility Configurations are Carried Forward
The Home Page of the Employee Portal will display data on the configured widgets based on the users subscription to services (without the need to associate the Service Manager Services to Service Domains)
Domain Pages on the Employee Portal, will only display data related to Services mapped to that Domain, if the widgets on the Domain Page have applied the Domain Filter
Step 7 - Customize
Customize your Home Page, and Domain Pages
- Widget Layouts
- Options - Decide on Row and Column layouts
- Inherited on Employee Mobile - The Pages, and Ordering will be mirrored on the Employee Mobile
- Widgets Configuration
- Domain filters inherited - Apply Domain Filters to widgets on Pages to filter the displayed data
- Configuration Specific to each widget - Each widget will have unique specific configuration options
- Widget Styling
- Title / Icons - Change the titles, icons and colors
- Override employee portal general theme if desired - By default all widgets will inherit the styling from the Section configuration on the Body Section of the pages (as set in the admin console > Manage Employee Portal Settings, however, if desired you can change the style of individual widgets.
Step 8 - Switch
Consider when you are ready to migrate to the Employee Portal, consider how you want to make users aware of this internally within your organization.
Only When Ready
You may have employees who will follow URL's to take them to the Service or My Services Portals, and you may have URL links in email templates which employees will click on and these will take them to the Service of My Services Portals. To ensure all employees are directed to the Employee Portal (when you have made the switch), you can enable re-directs - these will automatically pass employees to the corresponding Employee Portal URL when they try to go to a Service or My Services URL.
- Under Applications > Collaboration > Settings make these setting changes at the point you are ready to switch (they will take effect immediately)
Redirect URLs from the old Service Portal page to the new Employee Portal - Ensure the is set to Employee Portal
Redirect URLs from the old Service Portal page to the new Employee Portal - Ensure this is set to On
Enable for users
- You may have been configuring the employee portal with a project team, or a subset of users, when you are ready to switch, ensure you return to Admin Console > System > Manage Portals > Manage Employee Portal > Settings and remove the named users from the:
- Users To Preview the Employee Portal field - this will make the Employee Portal visible to all users
Turn off the My Services Option
- Admin Console > System > Manage Portals > Manage Employee Portal > Settings
- Tick the Hide My Services option, this will hide the link and menu option for the My Services view in the live.hornbill.com/yourcompany interface.
- It will also move the Employee Portal menu item Company Home to the top of the Menu options, and therefore will be the default view all basic users see when they login to the live.hornbill.com/yourinstance interface
Turn off the Link to the Service Portal from the Menu in the User App
- Admin Console > Applications > Collaboration > Settings
- webapp.ui.showServicePortalLink - if this is enabled, disable this to remove a link from the menu in the user app.