The Inventory Viewer provides an interface to organise discovered devices and categorize them as Managed / Un-Managed Devices, as well as removing them. Once marked as Managed, a device entitlement is consumed for a minimum of 30 days, after which this or any other Un-managed device will be able to re-use it. Inventory details and the execution of IT Automation jobs are only available once a device has been categorised as a Managed Device.
The use of Lists is a great way to organise and maintain managed devices within the viewer and provides a mechanism for IT Automation Job deployment to multiple targets.
- A refresh of the list may be required to display any new devices discovered while you are viewing the list
- All Managed Inventory
- Show only the devices that categorised as Managed
- All Un-managed Inventory
- Show only those categorized as Un-managed
- Add Selected To a Managed List
- By selecting multiple devices in the list using the checkboxes, you can add these into an available Managed List.
- Create List
- Create a new list for managing or grouping devices
- Free Text Filter
- Free Text filter to search by Name, Manufacturer, Model or Operating System
- Action Buttons
- Each Action applies to one or more selected devices in the Inventory List
- Toggle Managed Status
- Set Selected As Managed / Set Selected as Un-managed
- Add Selected to A Managed List
- This is only available for Managed CIs)
- Delete Device
- This will permanently remove the device from the list
Displays discovered (Managed or Un-Managed) Inventory items, and provides access to an items properties and Job Queue. User defined lists are created and populated from here and dynamic filtering is also available. The list is sorted by clicking on the individual column headers, an indicator displayed next the sort column stating the sort order as Ascending () or Descending (). From the list, multiple items can be selected so that an action can be executed on multiple items, alternatively, the dropdown button next to each item is used to execute actions for individual items.
Clicking on the Device Name will display properties discovered for the selected item, the following information is available:
- Summary (Name, Discovered On, Ping, DNS)
- Manufacturer / Hardware (showing Model, Serial Number, CPU & Memory)
- Operating System
- Installed OS Options
- Installed Software (filterable)
- Job Queue
- Provides the same interface to that used within the main Job Queue, with the difference here being that only jobs for the selected item will be visible and able to be created. Further details on the functionality of this feature can be found via the Job Queue documentation:
- For Un-managed devices, only the Summary information is available.
These lists provide a mechanism to allow for IT Automations or Runbook jobs execution across multiple devices. They are manually populated and contain managed devices each of which can exist in multiple lists.
Create a Managed List
- Navigate to (Home > ITOM > Inventory Viewer)
- From the Show filter Select + Create List
- Enter a name for the List
- The new list will now appear in the list of filters
Adding Devices to a List
- From the Inventory View select two or more Managed Devices
- Click the Add to Managed List button:
- The List is displayed showing the added entries
Removing Devices from a List
- Select the required List
- Click the checkbox next to each entry to be removed
- Select Remove Selected From ... button
- Click Yes on the Confirmation box; to remove devices from the list
- From the Show dropdown, select a populated List
- Locate a Managed Device
- Click the dropdown and select +Remove From ...
- Click Yes on the Confirmation box, to remove devices from the list