Creating and Managing API Keys
Since any API key is tied to a Hornbill User, to create one, navigate to the user profile under Platform Configuration. Once the user profile is displayed then navigate to the API Keys tab.
Creating an API Key
Click on the + button to start creating a new API key.
- This is a simple description of the API key that is being created
- This defines the current state of the API key. The options are Active, Revoked or Suspended. Any API key that is not in Active state cannot be used.
- This defines the date and time until the API key is active. Once the expiry date is reached the API key can no longer be used. This is mandatory, following best security practices.
- This is a list of Hornbill APIs (https://api.hornbill.com/) that can be used by the API key. You can restrict the use of an API key here by specifying only certain APIs that can be used by the API key.
- If no rules are specified, then any API that the API key's associated user account has rights to call, can be called. If one or more rules are defined, only API's that match these rules will be allowed.
- Each rule is a simple string that can include DOS-style wildcards. Rules are evaluated until a match is found, if no match is found the API call is rejected.
- Here are some examples: -
- session:* - will allow any API in the session service
- session:getSessionInfo - will allow this API
- session:get* - will allow any API whos name starts with 'api' in the session service
- apps/com.hornbill.core/* will allow all com.hornbill.core defined API's
- apps/com.hornbill.core:addHistory will allow the application defined global API addHistory
- apps/com.hornbill.core/Achievement:addAchievement will allow the application defined for entity Achievement
Each rule needs to be in the following format: <service>:<api_name>. Replace <service> and <api_name> with relevant values.
Click on the "Create" button to finish creating the new API key.